Following the great history of GNU naming, LAME originally stood for LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder. LAME is an educational tool to be used for learning about MP3 encoding. The goal of the LAME project is to use the open source model to improve the psycho acoustics, noise shaping and speed of MP3.
Many popular ripping and encoding programs include the LAME encoding engine.
- Many improvements in quality and speed over ISO reference software.
- MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
- CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
- Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL, Directshow filter or ACM codec (Windows).
- Free format encoding and decoding.
- GPSYCHO: a GPL'd psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
- Powerful and easy to use presets.
- Quality better than all other encoders at most bitrates.
- Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PentiumII 266mhz at highest quality mode.
- MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.